Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sorry Y'all

I am trying to keep this up to date. But with no internet access of the hospital, and Mark not being a very good secretary, I just have not been able to for the last bit.

Here we go:

Thursday: The doctors called me and said she had a few days to live. So I went flying to the hospital again, and we started going through those motions again.

Friday: Better, but not much improved. Hospice discussions begin.

Saturday: Dad caves and says we can do inpatient hospice for a while and see how it goes as I did not feel in her condition at this point home was an option. We go to the hospital Saturday morning and mom is sitting up in bed eating breakfast.

Now, remember the saga of the feeding tube? Apparently the doctors said fine, since there is no hope if she wants to eat let her eat.

She's eating.

Saturday night was a little wild. I stayed with her and the pain meds make her pretty loopy sometimes. Also, she does not sleep. I do not do well without sleep.

Sunday was another lovely day. She ate, and she got the catheter out. Happy mom.

Monday again was great - and physical therapy took her for 2 walks.

Today they drained 450 cc's (about 1/2 a liter) of fluid off her lung. That should help a lot.

My mother the miracle. She is going home on Friday or Monday.

All of the prayers, love and good thoughts have done it. Please keep it up! Mom has stumped the doctors and us. No more radiation as we suspect that is what caused the worst problems - she can't tolerate it.

And to top it off - mom has not lost all her hair from the chemo either.

Strong women run in our family. I think people forget to give credit to mom's generation - she's 70. She has seen the Great Depression, WWII, lived in Japan for 3 1/2 years during the Vietnam and Korean wars, lived on a farm with no electricity when she was growing up. She is no stranger to hard work. She is strong and tough. And she is beating the odds every second.

We are taking this day to day. She may have 6 hours, 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years. Nobody knows. Every day is a gift to be cherished.

Much love to you all!!! I will do better about posting I promise.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said...

I am so glad to hear that you have all been given some more time with each other. Make it count! Lots of hugs.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melanie:

I just talked with Sarah and she told me that she had taked with you.

While I was on the phone, Igot on the net and told her that you had posted.

Sue is at Physical therapy and will be glad to get the news when she comes back.

Tell Linda "Hi" for me and to keep hanging in there!

Pete

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home