Monday, May 05, 2008

DAR State Convention

This weekend I was a page at the 103rd State Conference of the Tennessee Society Daughters of the American Revolution. It was my first year as a page, and it was quite an experience. I was personal page to Ms.Patricia King Rhoton ( Mrs. Alex), Honorary State Regent of Tennessee, Past Vice President General of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, DAR School Committee Board of Trustees for Kate Duncan Smith School and National Society Advisor to the DAR Schools Committee. It was a pleasure to serve Ms. Rhoton and I hope to have the opportunity to do so again.
On Friday things were generally more relaxed and I worked at the TSDAR sales table selling license place frames, Kroger cards and our State Regent's project pins to raise money for the NSDAR. Friday night things got interesting, not only with very strong storms and tornadoes rolling through our area, but also with our formal opening ceremonies. To see all the pages in their white, with gloves, all the ladies in their finery. To watch our colors be paraded down the center aisle, to say the Pledge of Allegiance and sing the National Anthem. The feeling of patriotism in the room. It was an experience I will never forget and hope to repeat.

On Saturday I attended the business meetings and heard the reports of our national and state officers present. And on Saturday afternoon I attended my first Juniors meeting. As the Junior Chair for the Zachariah Davies Chapter it was an educational experience. And on Sunday I attended the memorial service for the Tennessee Daughters who passed away in the last year. It was another moving and touching experience. When I die, I hope somebody will stand up for me and say I was a good DAR.

Many congratulations to Cindy James, our Tennessee State Outstanding Junior Member!

2 Comments:

Blogger Suz said...

I'm glad you had a good weekend. DAR fascinates me. When I'm not killing myself with school I do the genealogy stuff for the fam and one day I hope to have enough proof to get into DAR (I've got the tree, I just have to prove I'm not making the durned thing up, I think)

5:15 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

I'm glad you had such a great time !!!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home